Sunday, October 18, 2009

Settled?

Boy, there is just no way to feeling settled with Cancer. The bottom line is that Angela is about the only thing that's normal around here! She's my rock, my primary supporter, and cheerleader. How many Best Things About Married to a Transsexual can I list? Loads (!) - especially since the diagnosis. Having cancer is having one doctor appointment after another with scans and lab tests in between - and I haven't even started the Chemo or Radiation yet. The surgery went great and poor Angela is doing double duty on everything - yard work, housecleaning, and all sorts of just general helpful things. She's a blessing in so many ways. There are so many things one needs to learn, and there are only a few days to absorb it all and make critical decisions. I was expecting radiation after surgery, but not chemo. Now, chemo is in the mix and starting "soon." I had one bad lymph node, and some "suspicious cells" in two more, so we're fast approaching the Port or No Port decision. I was all for just following my doc's advice, and going with whatever she suggested, but after some research, I'm struggling with info overload. I've got a call into her to discuss not having the port done, and asking about at least one of drugs I'm supposed to take. None of the chemotherapy drugs are "nice," to put it mildly. They all have terrible side effects and long-term after effects. So, hang in there with me. I promise to keep after this blog. I just want to say how much I love having Angela around to share my thoughts, worries, and all the joy she brings me.

1 comment:

LivelyClamor said...

First I'm totally glad you're healing well. Second, DON'T LET THEM RUSH YOU. I am continually outraged by that kind of high pressure sales and scare tactic. this is totally unfair and unjustified. If you decide on chemo or radiation you should be able to work calmly and slowly to decide what is best for YOU and not check your own needs and health issues at the door because greedy or even well-meaning "health professionals" are out to terrify you. I hate the mindset that characterizes the patient as a ticking time bomb that must be defused within the next 30 seconds.

(If I got breast cancer, what would I do? My first impulse would be no chemo, ever. But I'd be willing to consider it if I became convinced it was the appropriate medical thing to do. For ME, not "because everyone else does it." And I would damn well insist on being given enough time to make an informed decision, not go on information overload because of being rushed, and most definitely not having scare tactics aimed at me.

I wish you both the very best. I'm not going to tell you what to do, not my place. Just some well intentioned thoughts.